I was going through the insurance claims list of my company and was shocked to see that majority of the claims is due to Cancer-related.
The Thing About Cancer
What was even shocking to know is that Cancer can come knocking at your own door, even if you are just 2 years old or 55 years old when you are reading this and also regardless of whether you like it or not!
Cancer can strike anyone! So how prepared are you?
The #1 Killer:
- For Singapore Men is Colo-Rectum
- For Singapore Women is Breast
- For Singapore Children is Leukaemia
Cancer do not cause instant death and you may have to go through a few years of fighting. You either lose or win this battle! So do you have enough Critical Illnesses Insurance and Medical Insurance to last you through this?
If you are still ignorant about the effects of Cancer, there are many informative sites like the National Cancer Centre Singapore site >> http://www.nccs.com.sg/pat/08.htm (click this to read up on what Cancer is all about and its warning Signs)
What Causes Cancer?
There are no definite reasons on what cause people to have Cancer. It can just strike on anyone even if that particular person is perfectly healthy all the way (talk about the unfairness in life and I did seen a few live cases and its disheartening)!
Some Factors That May Contribute To The Risk:
- Tobacco (higher risk for second-hand smokers)
- Unhealthy Diet
- Family History
- and Stress in life! (this is totally true!)
Know The 8 Warning Signs of Cancer (as extracted from NCCS website):
- A sore which refuses to heal
- A lump or thickening in the breast or elsewhere
- Any unusual bleeding or discharge
- Any change in normal bowel habits
- Any change in a mole (those innocent looking ones) or wart
- Persistent indigestion or difficulty in swallowing
- Persistent hoarseness or cough
- Unexplained weight loss or Fever
Do note that these signs are just some health warnings and may not mean Cancer, if any doubts, please consult a doctor at once! But before that ever really happen, please get some Critical Illness Insurance and Medical Insurance to take care of the huge medical expenses!
Methods of Treatment
Early detection and with appropriate treatments, the chance of cure and long-term survival is a real possibility. And Cancer is treated with surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormone therapy or biological therapy. To learn the type of treatment, head over to this link >> http://www.nccs.com.sg/pat/08_07.htm
Are You (or Will You Be) Delaying Treatment Because Of These Side Effects?
All treatments come with side effects and most people (with the self-denial symptoms, lack of savings, and most important factor is having dependents needing the monthly income to survive) may wish to delay treatment and escape the side effects.
Side Effects like:
- Common for patients to feel tired or weak for a while after a Surgery. The length of time it takes to recover varies from patient to patient. The longer it takes, the higher loss of income.
- Tiredness, skin reactions such as redness, and loss of appetite due to Radiation Therapy. If you are tired, you will not be able to focus well in your working, therefore the loss of income!
- Nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, mouth sores or tiredness after Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is generally given in cycles: a treatment period is normally followed by a rest period, then another treatment period, and so on. Similarly, the long duration of not being able to work – loss of income!
- and much more side effects from Hormone and Biological Therapy…
My Advice: To get well soon, you really need to have ample rest and you have to get away from the stress in work! If you are worried about the loss of income, it’s always wise to transfer this risk to your insurance planning in a Critical Illness Insurance and Medical Insurance Plans.
How Much To Cover: A general rule of thumb is 5 times to 10 times of your annual income for your Critical Illness Coverage. To have an accurate value, work with your Financial Planner on your needs.
For your medical insurance, if you belong to a middle-income earner or you want the best form of coverage, get a hospitalization plan that will cover you to Private Medical Institutions. Premium may be high but think of the Medical Bills you have to face for Chemotherapy sessions!